074-three-dark-horsesOur special guest brought the wine this week, in episode 74.

Joe Noone, the man behind Fork On The Road, brought two bottles of wine from one of our favourite local producers, Three Dark Horses.

The MC 2014 Sauvignon Blanc from the Adelaide Hills is made with 75% of the grapes undergoing carbonic maceration for seven days and then basket pressed to old oak for the remainder of the time. Meanwhile, 25% is fermented on skins for 40 days.

This has some savoury foundations but with plenty of fruit – Joe got guava, Steve got pineapple and ripe, sweet, stewed apples.

The GT 2013 (Grenache and Touriga) from McLaren Vale is like Grenache on high beam, says Steve; bright, round, with sweet notes.

This wine is made with whole bunches in the bottom half of the barrels and crushed grapes on top.

Also worth noting the wine itself is quite translucent and is a perfect red for enjoying through the remainder of the summer silly season.

Both of these wines are enjoyable and worthy of the being the South Australian Drinks Of The Week.

Jump straight to our wine discussion here.